17.12.06

Work

I've been working at Ysgol Gyfun Gwynllyw for 14 years. Recently, partly for health reasons, I have been working part-time there. It has been pleasant to rest after two days work and take time off to relax and to catch up with housework and other exciting activities like washing clothes. It has also been an opportunity to try other not work related activities like going to the gym, playing music and playing badminton, all of which I have done this year and enjoyed.

Mary has been working full-time at Fairwater Comprehensive in the Language and Communication Base as the Head of the base. She has been finding the stresses of working there full-time really onerous. A few months ago she persuaded the headteacher of the school to advertise to find someone to do a job-share with her, so far this has not been achieved. We are now discussing possibility of me doing the job-share with her. I have the qualifications for it, I recently completed my MA in Autism, so that isn't a barrier. The only uncertainty is whether I will want to work 5 days a work and will be able to cope with the physical demands of doing so.

In the new year we are going to give it a try, I'll go into work with her on the two days when I am not working in Gwynllyw to see how it goes. If it seems like it could work we will make a formal application to the school to do the job-share. If it is too onerous then at least we will have tried it out.



No comments: